Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Fall Travel Wrap-Up

Fall Travel is over!!!! For so many Admissions Counselors around the country, those are four wonderful words. Now don't get me wrong- we love to travel and meet students, but the wear and tear after two months can be quite draining! My bed at home and quiet office life is a welcomed change. In just a few weeks, we'll begin reviewing Early Decision and Early Action candidates which I know the entire office is looking forward to starting. After meeting so many great students, we can't wait to open up your file and see what you're all about!

To mark the momentous occasion that is the shift from travel season to reading season, I have added a photo montage of my travels in September and October. Here are "Katie's Fall Travel Superlatives"



Most Scenic: Litchfield County, CT









Prettiest School
Toss up this year between Salisbury School in Salisbury, CT and Avon Old Farms of Avon, CT. This decision was harder than McCain v. Obama. I'll give the upper hand to AOF for the coolness factor that they were second in line to have the Harry Potter movies shot on their campus.




Avon Old Farms




Salisbury School




AOF


AOF Fall Foliage

Thirstiest Counselor: Jackie Gould of Suffolk University
This woman drinks at least 5 water bottles during the course of any given college fair. I am constantly being asked if I can "watch her junk" while she goes on a hunt for more. She also harasses all the counselors around her to grab her more water bottles on their way to the hospitality room or the bathroom. She is out of control and must be stopped! In related news, I went as Snow White for Halloween and suckered Jackie into being my dwarf. Please see below.



(Photo credit: D.J. Moore of Wentworth Institute of Technology)

Most Memorable Student: Austin from Plainville High School
Austin asked me if I remembered his name, would he have a better chance of being accepted? He then proceeded to repeat in for me about 5 times in a row. Guess what? It's been a few weeks and I still remember his name. Perhaps this trickery works.



Best Ice Cream-Kimball Farm in Westford, MA
I'm a little bias. I grew up eating Kimball farm at least once a week during the summer months. It was 30 minutes from home and worth the drive! On my way through Central MA this fall I couldn't resist getting a cone. Their mint oreo in a waffle cone is to die for! Maggie Mo's in West Hartford, CT was a close second.



Best food at a college fair
Hands down- Glastonbury High School in Glastonbury, CT. The homemade cookies and apple cider made this an easy choice. Keep up the good work!


Worst Day: September 30, 2008
Hit a car parallel parking in front of a high school. Upon entering said High School, I found out I had actually parked at the lower school. So I dinged up my rental car for nothing. No worries, damage wasn't significant enough for penalty. Stressful nevertheless.



Best Friend: My GPS
Last fall travel season I did not have a GPS.....it did not go so well. Last spring I took my stimulus check and finally bought one. My life has forever changed.




Last of all....Happy Election Day! For those 18 and above, get out there and vote! If you need a little incentive, Starbucks is giving out free coffee and Ben and Jerry's is giving out free ice cream! Free stuff just for performing your civic duty! What are you waiting for???

No comments: