Friday, March 5, 2010

Vancouver Olympics 2010

Alright everyone, it's time for another fun post. Since there was an article about me on the front page of the Summit (the Stonehill student newspaper) I figure that I'm a pretty big deal and I should make the fun post about me. I take it you agree.

Two weeks ago I got to take the trip of a lifetime to the Winter Olympic Games in Vancouver. The city of Vancouver has always been a place that I wanted to visit, when I saw the games were being held there I couldn't pass up the opportunity. I was able to see the USA Men's and Women's Hockey teams, go skiing at Whistler for the day, explore Vancouver, take in a curling match and go to a victory ceremony. Not bad for four days.

Day 1 was all about hockey. We had tickets to the USA Men's game vs. Norway and tickets to the USA Women's game vs. Finland. I'm not the biggest hockey fan in the world, but come on- it's the winter Olympics! Hockey is THE premier sport to watch. The Men's game took place right in downtown Vancouver where the Canucks team plays, so it was really easy to get to. The arena was packed with people, most of them Canadians who just wanted to see a game. I can't begin to explain how seriously Canadians take hockey, they live, die, and breathe hockey. There were a lot of Americans enjoying the game as well. The fans cheering for Norway were outnumbered but they were loud. Hey, if you traveled across an ocean and a continent to see your team, you are going to cheer. The Canadians tend to support whoever is playing against USA so it sounded like we were the visiting team.


USA Men's Hockey v. Norway

The USA Men's team got the victory that afternoon. I tend to think it was because of the luck I brought them. We then headed off to the other end of town for the USA Women's game. By the time we got there, the 1st period had ended but that was fine with me. You can only take so much hockey in one day. The game was played at Thunderbird Arena which is on the campus of the University of British Columbia. It was interesting to see an international university. The women won their game against Finland 6-0, and I rang my cowbell a lot. It's pretty much a requirement at the Olympics.


More Cowbell!

The next day we went skiing at Whistler Mountain for the full day. It was literally the best skiing I've ever done, and there were Olympic events going on so we got to catch a bit of the Men's GS as well. Pictures:

Whistler

The skiing was fantastic, but afterwards in Whistler Village was just as fun. There was a gathering area where all the visitors could watch the events happening at Whistler and it also happened to be the night Canadian John Montgomerry won the gold medal in Men's Skeleton. All of the Canadians watching went wild for him.

The next day we did some exploring which included a seabus ride across the bay to North Vancouver. The view from the boat looking back at the city was fantastic. We eventually found our way to the suspension bridge we were looking for, it was a great sight.

Lynn Canyon Suspension Bridge

Our last day in Vancouver we made it to the Men's Curling Competition. USA was playing Great Britain and the Canadian team was playing as well. I didn't know most of the rules but luckily I was seated next to a native Canadian who helped me figure out when to cheer. Surprisingly, the curling matches got pretty intense, the crowd really gets into it. We had great seats right in the 2nd row.

Curling Match

The whole Olympic experience was once in a lifetime, I'm so happy I was able to go. I really got to see and do a lot in a great city. I hear the 2nd Early Action Open House went pretty well, even without me. In case you were wondering to yourself while you visited "Where is Evan. G? I love his blog and really wanted to meet him!" Well, I apologize but I have to come up with these posts somehow, even if it means traveling to Vancouver for the Olympics. It's a tough job, but somebody has got to do it. And yes, I did get my mittens!

Twitter

Facebook Class of 2014 Group

No comments: