Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Travel has Begun!

Yes faithful readers...our Office is out on the road in full force!

Let's see...last week, Liz was in Kansas, Megan was in St. Louis, Linda was in Florida, and Sam was in Atlanta, GA. If you are interested, you can see where we will all be this Fall, by visiting the "On the Road" section of our website!

Travel is an exciting time in Admissions...It is a chance to reconnect with colleagues and friends that have the same territory as you. Like seeing an old friend from childhood, an Admissions Counselor can go for a year without seeing a fellow Counselor, and yet, can reconnect instantly without missing a beat. It's funny how much the alphabet plays a role in who you know best on the road. For the most part, Colleges are in alphabetical order at college fairs. Therefore I know very well the Counselors from Suffolk, Sterling, and Stevens, but it took a while to move down the alphabet and introduce myself To Josh at Lesley and Cathy at Curry! My friend Meghan who used to work here and now is at Endicott mentioend that it will be hard getting used to "another part of the alphabet" at college fairs!

Travel is also a time to reconnect with hundreds of school counselor office's in High Schools all over the country! Between the 11 of us in the office we will visit thousands of High Schools and meet with some wonderful school counselors and their interested students.

I began my travel this past Friday in New Hampshire. I was visiting schools in the Portsmouth area. Portsmouth High School happened to be my first visit of the season. Portsmouth is a great school with a wonderful College Counselor named Mr. Modern. I always remind him about my first year at Stonehill when I visited him at Portsmouth and found myself in the middle of a fire drill. Without missing a beat, Mr. Modern brought over the students that were interested in Stonehill and we all met outside to talk. He has always been very nice to me over the years and it is clear that he knows his students well. I met with 6 wonderful students and they asked some great questions.

Quick tip to all you students out there: If you are interested in a College that is visiting your school, come prepared with a few questions to ask the Admissions Counselor at the visit. We all meet hundreds of students a year, but we are more apt to remember the ones that have clearly done their "homework" and ask some insightful questions during the High School visit!

Next up is Nashua, New Hampshire. I'll be sure to post an update soon!

No comments: